When to File for Child Support

If you are a single parent, there is a chance that you don’t have court-ordered child support. There may be many personal reasons for that decision, but eventually, you have to make the decision about whether to ask for court-ordered support. To file for child support, you can contact your local child support office. Every state has its own rules and so you may want to ask a lawyer to handle your case.

Do You Need the Support?

If you have custody of your child, you know your bills better than anyone. If you are struggling to pay the bills and to care for your child, then you should definitely ask for child support. If the other parent is not paying enough, then it can help to have a court order so that you know how much money you will receive every month. Some parents choose to come up with their own plans, but it doesn’t always work out in the long-run. If you need support, then it’s time to ask for it.

Do You Have Government Assistance?

If you have government assistance, then you may not have a choice. If the other parent is listed on the birth certificate, then the government can find out the information for themselves. When the government knows that there is a second parent who is not paying support, they may file for child support themselves. It may be easier if you seek child support instead of the government doing it.

Does the Other Parent Have Another Child?

When a parent has another child, then his or her funds are split. If the parent of your child has another child from a different relationship, he or she may begin to pay less towards the child you have together because of the other child. The other parent may not even recognize that he or she is doing it. When there is another child involved, it is better to ensure that you have the funds that you deserve. You need to make sure that your child is cared for no matter what. The best way to ensure that the other parent pays child support is to have a court order.

Child support can be a touchy subject for many parents. For the benefit of your child, it is important that you have adequate support for your child’s needs. For a case evaluation, discuss your options with a lawyer as soon as possible.